Edit History

Constantine

Constantine

Hi Ross, appreciate the work your doing here!

I dont know much about the legalites of service agreements and such, but that I would just put this here as common sense details to help the case, which you probably already thought out, but just in case.

the fact that the service agreement:

1) contains something that is against consumer rights laws

2) is displayed to you before PLAYING the game, not before i already paid for it by pressing "buy to OWN" (i got the crew for free on xbox live games with gold, after which on the store page it says either renew my gold or "Buy to own") Likewse if the game is bought physically, cashiers arent going to explain that you are buying a license, not a product, that can be pulled by the publishers whim. 

3) is accpeted by pressing a button, not by signing my name. They cant ensure that I, the buyer, was the first one to open the game and read the agreement. (my kid, if i had one, could have logged into my account, press play and skip the agreement.) If they want to make it a contract service rather than a product, they need to handle this the way Fido handles my phone contract, and make me sign.  

4) is tied to a game that runs completely fine without the need of other players. (Gamers understand that game publishers dont have to support an online only game forever, but the crew is "online only" because they decided to do that either for piracy reasons or too lazy to incorporate an offline mode: which since the game is designed to work without would be very easy)

And Ross, could you also shed some light (sorry if you already did elsewhere and i missed it) but do you know why ubisoft is doing this? what is their gain to make millions of customers enemies when the solution was to do one final patch to make the game playable offline after server shut down? As i said, i cant fathom how that would be a lot of work since I finished the game without interacting with a single person.

Constantine

Constantine

Hi Ross, appreciate the work your doing here!

I dont know much about the legalites of service agreements and such, but that I would just put this here as common sense details to help the case, which you probably already thought out, but just in case.

the fact that the service agreement:

1) contains something that is against consumer rights laws

2) is displayed to you before PLAYING the game, not before i already paid for it by pressing "buy to OWN" (i got the crew for free on xbox live games with gold, after which on the store page it says either renew my gold or "Buy to own") Likewse if the game is bought physically, cashiers arent going to explain that you are buying a license, not a product, that can be pulled by the publishers whim. 

3) is accpeted by pressing a button, not by signing my name. They cant ensure that I, the buyer, was the first one to open the game and read the agreement. (my kid, if i had one, could have logged into my account, press play and skip the agreement.) If they want to make it a contract service rather than a product, they need to handle this the way Fido handles my phone bills, and make me sign.  

4) is tied to a game that runs completely fine without the need of other players. (Gamers understand that game publishers dont have to support an online only game forever, but the crew is "online only" because they decided to do that either for piracy reasons or too lazy to incorporate an offline mode: which since the game is designed to work without would be very easy)

And Ross, could you also shed some light (sorry if you already did elsewhere and i missed it) but do you know why ubisoft is doing this? what is their gain to make millions of customers enemies when the solution was to do one final patch to make the game playable offline after server shut down? As i said, i cant fathom how that would be a lot of work since I finished the game without interacting with a single person.

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.