Edit History

TangledTwine

TangledTwine

5 hours ago, Ross Scott said:

I generally just assumed this method would be a never-ending hell with standards changing all the time, encrypted files, and only the most popular games getting support.  Even games that use the same engine can have massive compatibility differences.    A ripping-solution from the output would be something that would only get refined over time and not have to keep reinventing the wheel, but I'm happy for whatever gets us more worse

The lack of support for games without a big community around them is a big downside, yes. If you're the only one who cares about a given game, my version wouldn't really help much.  The other stuff isn't as much of an issue though. Yes, games are a moving target, but if the fans care they're usually pretty good at hitting that target. The core scripting engine extender for Skyrim has to be updated every time Bethesda updates the game's exe, which for a while was VERY often, but the fans managed to keep it updated. Not saying it wouldn't be hard, it definitely would be. But it would still probably be easier than the AI approach. That said, I'd love to be wrong.

Also, realized I hadn't answered the call for what MY dream software is, so here goes: an OS that "programs" itself. Monitors the web for news of security and malware issues, parses the text with a high level of understanding, and patches vulnerabilities (complete with changelog). Analyzes unfamiliar hardware and can gradually write its own drivers for said hardware, via research and testing. a-b tests new GUI ideas on the User: User is trying to find a file? Some days the dialog is a little more like this, others a little more like that, collect data on which seems more effective and enjoyed by the user, implement (major sites like google and facebook do this all the time, this would "just" be without a human in the loop).  Fairly out there/sci fi at the moment, but within the horizon of possibility in a decade or so I think.

TangledTwine

TangledTwine

4 hours ago, Ross Scott said:

I generally just assumed this method would be a never-ending hell with standards changing all the time, encrypted files, and only the most popular games getting support.  Even games that use the same engine can have massive compatibility differences.    A ripping-solution from the output would be something that would only get refined over time and not have to keep reinventing the wheel, but I'm happy for whatever gets us more worse

The lack of support for games without a big community around them is a big downside, yes. If you're the only one who cares about a given game, my version wouldn't really help much.  The other stuff isn't as much of an issue though. Yes, games are a moving target, but if the fans care they're usually pretty good at hitting that target. The core scripting engine extender for Skyrim has to be updated every time Bethesda updates the game's exe, which for a while was VERY often, but the fans managed to keep it updated. Not saying it wouldn't be hard, it definitely would be. But it would still probably be easier than the AI approach. That said, I'd love to be wrong.

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.