Videochat September 2018

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Here's the September videochat with fans. There's not a lot of changes since last time, most of the video is just me rambling, but I had a lot of good questions this time. This should hopefully be the LAST video at this location, as moving is still my top priority AND there are apartments I can rent now. After I move, focus will be on a spree of Freeman's Mind videos + maybe some Halloween ones.

COMMENTS

That accent was quite a big hit with the audience. I think you've got some material for an episode of FM, or at least an April 1 video.

Oh, and if you were interested, I was talking about this kind of thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zorbing

It might be perfect for an episode going through Lost Coast.

As for supernatural elements in Tomb Raider -- you may as well start with the first game. It takes some really unexpected turns if you were expecting something typical of the genre.

Without spoiling anything for you; I guarantee the very first "tomb" in the game will have an area that you aren't expecting. It's a very surreal experience when you first get to that part, I'm confident that you'll know what I'm talking about once you reach it and that it'll have a good chance of hooking you if you're looking for the unexpected.

The game also takes a hard dive into horror later on, almost like some kind of fantasy Cronenberg.

I played TR1 for the first time a couple years ago expecting something relatively grounded so lots of elements from the game were downright disorienting when I encountered them. I can't speak for whether or not the remake of TR1 kept those elements, I haven't played it yet.

Sorry if this actually got resolved in the chat, I paused the video to note this down while it was still fresh in my mind!

Speaking of which, Presence, why did you remove your avatar? I thought it was kinda cute

Come the full moon, the bat flies whose boiling blood shall stem the tide.

Speaking of which, Presence, why did you remove your avatar? I thought it was kinda cute

I never had one, you must be thinking of someone else.

You asked about games that started off disappointing but got better. Most of the time it's the other way around, but I can think of a few. Whoever said Until Dawn was pretty on the ball. It starts off as you might expect as a typical "annoying young adults get bucketed by enigmatic killer" and then the reality warping and gross descent-into-madness imagery gets better after the first "twist" of the game

Don't open this this is you don't want plot spoilers.

When Josh is revealed as the ingenious serial killer prankster, it's nice to see how his sisters disappearance has left an indelible scar on his personality and relationship with the other characters, and his failure to maintain his drug course quickens his sanity failing. I also can't knock anything that reveals a deeper subplot about an isolated and unethical asylum literally turning people into Wendigoes.

That being said, the grandfather clock "jump scare" is the only thing that properly made me leap out of my skin.

Whilst I'm totally biased towards the Forbidden Siren games (see avatar and user handle) they definitely strike me as "gets better the more you invest in it" type games, especially given how bloody difficult they are. Forbidden Siren 2 ditches some of more annoying aspects of the first game though, whilst remaining a challenge. I'm just glad they got rid of the timed missions from the first. Those were frustrating as fuck.

Another horror game that begins rather average (though admittedly atmospheric) is called Unforgiving - A Northern Hymn, a Swedish folklore first-person adventure. I found it rather banal to begin with, wandering around dark woods with a few examples of spooky spirits and humanoid creatures - though the design of which are extremely good. But after learning more about the religious community (I know you have a thing for cults Ross) the game gets subtly and increasingly strange. It has multiple endings too.

If you don't mind something more emotional, artsy and narrative-led (I know how some people feel about walking simulators) then The Beginners Guide definitely subverts your expectations by the time it is done, given that it seems like a technical demo dedicated to the narrators inventive friend Coda. It ends up being a very poignant and effective message about needing validation and fulfillment. I read one youtube comment that summed up the game;

How to get through this game..

1. try not to cry

2. cry a lot

Speaking of Eastern Europe's lax copyright implementation, it reminded of the time I saw a hair/beauty place in town with a banner hung over the door. They had apparently found an image of Kasumi from Dead or Alive in a black bikini and just used that. I found the blatant appropriation rather funny.