Video Shortage Update

Sign in to follow this  

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Here's an update on the current drought of videos. The simple version is things haven't stabilized, but I might be making progress maybe. I'm hoping to have some real videos in the near future, but it's still going to be a rocky path for a while.

COMMENTS

Continuing to dry clothes inside when there is already a moisture problem just blows my fricking mind. I'm sure it's a cultural thing, but still, this is a dire situation. I'd pitch in for a dehumidifier if the desire was expressed. Maybe it would blow the power budget though, don't know how that works in your locale.

It sounds like you're in a pretty tough situation right now, but I'm glad you're looking to move out and that some progress has been made. I stand by my previous post about moving out because your apartment will need to be torn apart to really fix the problem. The severity of the mold will fluctuate based on a lot of different things including weather and the interior conditions of your apartment. I wouldn't be surprised if it got bad again in a few weeks. I still think that there is stagnant water trapped in your walls and ceiling, and fixing that will take much more work than just a basic renovation. Still, I'm glad things are moving forward, thanks for the update.

>Continuing to dry clothes inside when there is already a moisture problem just blows my fricking mind. I'm sure it's a cultural thing, but still, this is a dire situation. I'd pitch in for a dehumidifier if the desire was expressed. Maybe it would blow the power budget though, don't know how that works in your locale.

Seems like they don't have a balcony. Maybe modern commie block architecture has moved away from that classic visage.

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"

Спасибо что живой!

Come the full moon, the bat flies whose boiling blood shall stem the tide.

You need a dehumidifier, get a dehumidifier. The bigger the better. Some store must sell them there. Walmart if you have to.

...I dry my clothes in the hallway. Where else am I supposed to dry my clothes? I'm not going to leave them outside, where they'll get all dustied up.

Even if I had a balcony, I would still leave my clothes inside.

I can only tell you what I have seen, which is in most apartment buildings in my country, there are almost always some clothes washers and dryers on the ground floor or in the basement. I've read that in Poland, clothes dryers are one of the largest growing appliances in terms of sales, so it seems that many people there have discovered how convenient they can be, and how nice they leave one's clothes. Especially when one lives in a very small space, it seems terribly inconvenient to have clothes hanging around all the time.

I feel like this has probably been discussed before, but Ross, if it comes down to it would you consider starting one for your housing situation? It sounds like it's getting to the point where it would behoove you to have it.

"No! You can't follow me, you don't have any money! That's the whole point!"

Honestly, I would rather buy a dishwasher instead. It would be far less useless than a dryer in my mind. And it would automate some really tedious busy work.

As someone who had exactly the same thoughts and ended up buying a dishwasher (rather advanced and pricey one I must add), I'd advise against it. You expect some magic machine which will make your kitchenware clean, but all you get is a shower which pours hot water on your dishes. There are no brushes or any mechanical means to clean the surface of the plates.

And the detergent you are supposed to use is so caustic that it is downright toxic (it even says as much on the label), because it's the only way to corrode away the food remains (again, no mechanical means).

And the water is recycled, meaning that it never rinses your plates with running water, even in the final phase.

AFAIU that's some weird Euro-American trend to save water, which I find kinda stupid - a single flush of your toilet uses more water than you'd need to properly rinse your plates.

Even after the program finishes, you sometimes can still see some foam left on the innards of the machine, meaning that there's definitely some of that toxic crap left on your plates.

Oh, and also you still have to do some manual "preliminary" dishwashing, because otherwise (for the aforementioned reasons) the remaining pieces of food will turn the (penny-pinching) dose of water into greasy soup that your dishes will float in. (And remember: no rinsing with running water).

All in all, the only use I found for a dishwasher is to occasionally wash huge amounts of porcelain after big parties. In day to day life it's much more efficient (and healthy) to just wash the dishes in the sink.

Come the full moon, the bat flies whose boiling blood shall stem the tide.

...I dry my clothes in the hallway. Where else am I supposed to dry my clothes? I'm not going to leave them outside, where they'll get all dustied up.

Even if I had a balcony, I would still leave my clothes inside.

I can only tell you what I have seen, which is in most apartment buildings in my country, there are almost always some clothes washers and dryers on the ground floor or in the basement. I've read that in Poland, clothes dryers are one of the largest growing appliances in terms of sales, so it seems that many people there have discovered how convenient they can be, and how nice they leave one's clothes. Especially when one lives in a very small space, it seems terribly inconvenient to have clothes hanging around all the time.

I don't know, it doesn't take more than a day for my clothes to dry. I can't even afford some new shoes, I'm not going to buy some new electronics just to dry my clothes, slightly less slowly, I don't go through my clothes THAT quickly. It's just an extra expense, and now all of sudden I have more electronics I need to maintain.

My washing machine is good enough, no point in wasting money, when the sun can just do all the same work by itself. Washing clothes is tedious enough as is, I don't really feel like adding one extra step, among all the other expenses I might need to go through. Even when I used to live in a small flat, leaving the clothes around was never that big of a deal, I just had to adapt, and that was the end of it. I feel like I could be spending my money on something better than a dryer.

Even then, I feel like I would need two or three dryers, I doubt you can stuff those full of clothes, bed sheets, or whatever else, I would still need some storage space for my wet clothes and whatever else I have.

Honestly, I would rather buy a dishwasher instead. It would be far less useless than a dryer in my mind. And it would automate some really tedious busy work.

I would buy a dryer if I had the money for it though, I'm not really against it.

I sure as hell wouldn't complain, if I could just throw all my crap into the dryer for a couple of hours, and be done with it.

I would gladly have both a dish washer and a dryer, but overall, I feel like the dishwasher would get more use than a dryer. I doubt a dryer would use too much electricity, it's probably just a motor that makes some spinny stuff spin.

I'm not suggesting that people without clothes dryers rush out and buy them, but in a situation like Ross's, it makes sense to throw your damp clothes into a basket and seek one out instead of creating further moisture problems in the home. For all we know, there is a dryer within a short walk or drive from his mold-infested home. Additionally, your comments tell me that you are unfamiliar with a modern tumble dryer, which is fine, I am not insulting you, but perhaps it is hasty to characterize something as useless when it is evident you haven't researched its principles of operation or its functionality. For instance, the dryer that I'm familiar with can have a full load of clothes crisp, clean, and dry in under 45 minutes. So basically once one washer load is done, the next can be placed in the dryer and so on. Furthermore, I would think that if there are active mold spores in the air, they would find a ready home in damp clothing, such that you'd actually be wearing the toxins that could be making you sick. It's just a horrible idea in his situation.

According to AF Twitter, Ross's neighbor invited an inhebriated hobo posing as a building inspector into his flat to asses the damage. He drilled through a pipe in the wall and flooded five stories. :lol:

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"