FREEMAN'S MIND 2: EPISODE 2

Sign in to follow this  

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Freeman's Mind! There ended up being a longer delay on this than I intended, but I don't think the quality was hurt any. I'm still having some hang ups with the Source engine, as there are multiple behind the scenes fixes going on with this episode. Primarily, demo playback seems to have no consistency at all. Depending on what values I use when playing it back, I can have a combination of stuttering for the following situations:

-Turning the mouse

-Jumping

-NPC movement

-some dynamic objects playing animations

-Cutscene camera movement

So far, I've mostly minimized the first three, but can't seem to have EVERYTHING play back smoothly. Stuff like this is why I abandoned the Source engine for my other projects. If anyone has greater insight as to how demo playback works, you're welcome to contact me, though if you have suggested values, you may want to test them yourself in HL2 first. Next up for June will be another Game Dungeon and more Freeman's Mind.

COMMENT

Will you share download link to the FM2 episodes as well? I got every single FM1 episode om my PC and I dont really wanna rip from youtube where it has been compressed.

Well, that was amazing. Loved the take on Kleiner as being an 'evil scientist', as well as the Vortigaunt bits in the teleport sequence.

If there was ever a Source 2 port of Half-Life 2, would you use it simply for the lack of bugs that would come with the new engine?

I don't get half of the science humor in FM, but I think that's one of the beauty parts of it.

This episode's release coincides with my graduation from 2-year college. (it was the 25th, but still) I started watching at episode 22, so I was in middle school when I became away of this show. That's how long it's been part of my life.

Awesome! And I guess picture quality's improved! I don't remember the wooden floor be so shiny! Yay! I'm a happy bunny!

Also, no kicker this time?

I'm guessing the issues you're describing are why Dr. Vance glitched out there at one point? I didn't see any other hiccups. In fact, Alyx's facial expressions looked more correct than they do on my computer; I swear switching to the Orange Box model back in 2010 caused some of her rigs to break.

the lack of bugs that would come with the new engine

Ha ha, dass a good one.

I'm guessing the issues you're describing are why Dr. Vance glitched out there at one point? I didn't see any other hiccups. In fact, Alyx's facial expressions looked more correct than they do on my computer; I swear switching to the Orange Box model back in 2010 caused some of her rigs to break.

the lack of bugs that would come with the new engine

Ha ha, dass a good one.

Hey, as far as recording goes, I should hope there are at least different bugs. If it's all the same issues, then what's the point of a new engine?

I don't get half of the science humor in FM, but I think that's one of the beauty parts of it.

Awesome!

Ross, is there any reason why you don't enable the community contributed subtitles in YouTube? I'd love to make Spanish subtitles!

Like the reaction to the retcons.

"I don't trust a man that doesn't have something strange going on about him, cause that means he's hiding it from you. If a man's wearing his pants on his head or if he says his words backwards from time to time, you know it's all laid out there for you. But if he's friendly to strangers and keeps his home spick-and-span, more often than not he's done something even his own ma couldn't forgive." -No-bark Noonan

"You people don't know Kleiner."

colbert-jaw-drop_zps400d78f2.gif~c200

This... is an absolutely brilliant characterization. I can't wait to see where it goes from here. :mrgreen:

EDIT: English subtitles will be uploaded in less than 24 hours.

I'd love to make Spanish subtitles!

Please do! Once I'm done with the English subtitles, all you'll need to do is to take my subs in English and translate them. You'll have the timing ready to go.

Hey Ross, You may want to fix the Freemans Mind playllist on youtube, since FM 2 Episoe one isnt featured in it oddlly enough

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

Thank you so much, Ross. I've missed Gordon and his caustic commentary. :)

I am in no way any expert on machinima but to me at least the video looked very good. I did not notice any flaws or stuttering on initial viewing. I'll be watching it again, mind, but I doubt there's any serious issues that I can spot.

"You people don't know Kleiner."

colbert-jaw-drop_zps400d78f2.gif~c200

This... is an absolutely brilliant characterization. I can't wait to see where it goes from here. :mrgreen:

I can imagine this being one of those things that gradually builds up momentum as the series goes on. Like, we start where we are now, with Kleiner being described as somewhat morally questionable, but over time Gordon makes a bunch of anecdotes about Kleiner, each one more insane than the last, until we realise that the good doctor isn't just evil, he's completely mad and morally twisted.

I think there was a bit of glitchyness in the Lamarr scene. Also, if I remember correctly, you are supposed to see a bit of dust in the air after Kleiner blows on the clipboard. Playing Half-Life 2 again on the PS3 version of the Orange Box made me realise how much some updates messed the game up.

The way you portray Kleiner is great. I love when the characterization of someone in a machinima like this can be completely changed just by the way another the protagonist reacts to them, even if all their actions are the same (that said, it's very often done really badly.)

I can imagine this being one of those things that gradually builds up momentum as the series goes on. Like, we start where we are now, with Kleiner being described as somewhat morally questionable, but over time Gordon makes a bunch of anecdotes about Kleiner, each one more insane than the last, until we realise that the good doctor isn't just evil, he's completely mad and morally twisted.

Honestly I think it's a lot funnier when Kleiner is just low-key kind of a sociopath, not really caring about morality but still coming across as an okay guy in person. The fact that it's kind of subtle and that a regular person could totally interpret his actions as benign (while Freeman knows what the real deal is) is what makes it great. Going outright evil madman would be a little too over-the-top.

also, is Freeman still mute, or is he actually telling people stuff when it appears obvious he is?

He can talk in Freeman's Mind. From the start he was saying things to people and even getting mad when they ignored him. "Freeman's Mind" is just kind of a misleading title.